24 October 2008

Oreo Truffles



This is the best dessert EVER!!!

This recipe evaded me for some time.  I had gone to dessert/art event at my eldest daughters school almost seven years ago to this day.  I was pregnant with my youngest and was really loving these amazing chocolate covered, chocolate filled delicacies.  I searched and searched in vain for the wonderful parent who had created them.  Almost six months later, at a command function with my husband, I was happily surprised to find them sitting on the dessert table.  I was able to get the recipe that day and have been making them ever since.  I have made these for many different events and they have always been a crowd pleaser.  I have to warn you chocolate lovers out there, who lack self control like I do, you really can eat a whole batch of these.   I have done it!

PKG Regular Oreos - crushed like dirt*
1 8 oz PKG Cream Cheese - softened**

PKG Wilton Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
1/4 PKG Wilton White Chocolate Candy Melts

Mix the crushed Oreos with the softened cream cheese until well blended and you cannot see cream cheese anywhere.  Roll into 1" balls and refrigerate for only 1 hour.  If you leave the truffles in the refrigerate too long the chocolate coating will crack and form moisture on the outside.  If you do go over an hour try to let the truffles sit out on the counter to bring the temperature up a little.

**I use a 2 Tablespoon sized cookie scoop to make the truffles uniform**

When the hour is up: 

Chocolate Coating

Melt chocolate in microwave.  For a whole bag start at 30 seconds on high, stir and melt in 15 second intervals until chocolate is smooth.  

Take rolled truffles out of the refrigerator and one at a time drop into the chocolate, roll until completely covered and then place on parchment paper.  

Let truffles sit at least 30 minutes at room temp for chocolate to harden.  If it is hot and muggy it may take more than 30 minutes.  You can test the chocolate by touching with your finger.  If you leave fingerprints, you must pick the truffle up and eat it.  I repeat this step every 15 minutes until the chocolate is set.  Did I mention I am in Florida?  Did I mention that I can eat a whole batch?  I make sure I turn the AC down on truffle making days...  You can also put truffles in the refrigerator for 5 - 10 minutes and they will set quite nicely.  

White Chocolate Drizzle Topping

Melt 1/4 pkg of white chocolate in microwave.  Start at 15 seconds on high and then move on to 10 second intervals on medium high.  Be extra careful on watching the vanilla while melting it down because it burns very easily.

Spoon the melted vanilla into freezer type of zip lock bag.  Try to move chocolate to one corner and get as much air out as possible.  Twist the end (like a pastry cream bag) and cut a very small section of the corner off.  Drizzle the white chocolate over the truffles and let set.  The white chocolate does not take as long to set.

**Store in refrigerator until ready to serve**

Helpful Hints

*when I first started making these I used the bottom of a drinking glass covered drinking glass and a large mixing bowl to obtain the dirt like consistency since then I have moved on up to the food processor which makes the task soooooo much easier.

**the recipe calls for regular cream cheese but I have found that the 1/3 less fat is easier to work with and tastes just as good.

***when working with the candy melts, know that they maintain their shape even when they melt so you have to be very careful to stir well in between each melting cycle.

****you can use chocolate chips if you prefer, melting 12 oz as you would the candy melts but you will have to add 2 Tablespoons of Crisco to the chocolate and stir well to incorporate.  If you do use chocolate chips as your coating, know that the truffles take a long time to set.

ENJOY!



No comments: